Tuesday 6 March 2012

Hospex course at Royal Derby Hospital--Day 1

For three days this week I am participating in the Hospex course at Royal Derby Hospital. This is a course for potential medical students. The aim is to give prospective students a good insight into the way a hospital works and a few different specialities of medicine. Today was my first day on the course and I had an amazing time!

In the morning I was based in the Cardiac Catheter Suites, which was absolutly fascinating! Following presentation at Medlink about CABG surgery and coronary artery stents, I have been very interested in these procedures and today I got to see it first hand. Although I was unable to go into the theatres myself due to my age, I was able to observe through a glass window and view the procedure through x-ray imaging. Not only was I able to see a stent put in, but I was able to observe pacemaker surgery. Thank you to all the staff, who explained everything they were doing to me, I don't think I've leant so much in a long time!

After lunch, I got the opportunity to shadow Dr Rebecca Thomas, an F1 on a care for the elderly ward. This experience was as equally interesting as the catheter session in the morning. As all doctors have to go through their foundation years, it was brilliant to have the opportunity to see what they do myself, rather than taking it from the TV! Thanks, to Dr Rebecca Thomas for giving me such an enjoyable and useful afternoon.

I can't wait to learn more tomorrow!


2 comments:

  1. Hi there Emily, my name's Abbie and like yourself I'm interested in becoming a doctor when I'm older. I've heard about the HOSPEX course at Royal Derby through other prospective medical students and reading your blog has made me really want to do it. Is there anyway I can get in contact with you privately to discuss the course in more detail?
    I look forward to hearing from you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Feel free to email me on emilyroseyoung@hotmail.com.

      Delete