Tuesday 29 May 2012

World Challenge Expedition to Madagascar 2012

I thought I'd take a break from the medical related posts and write about another huge thing in my life at the moment; my World Challenge Expedition to Madagascar this coming July. I have spent the last two years of my life fundraising and preparing for this expedition and now it is only a month away! On this expedition we will be volunteering at Akany Avoko shelter for destitute children and trekking around the midland area of Madagascar (hauts plataux). Please find more information about the shelter at http://www.akanyavoko.com/.
Bag Packing to raise money at Decathalon.
      I have already learnt so much from this experience, without yet setting off! The main of these is how to budget. Being young, before deciding to go on this expedition, I had not yet learnt the value of money! However, for the past two years all I have done is save and raise the £3,545 that I needed to go on this expedition. I can't pretend that it hasn't been tough raising all this money and I have had to make many sacrifices, but despite this, my determination has got me to my final target! Additionally, I have also developed further my teamwork skills as raising the money has not only been an individual effort, but also a team effort!

A cake sale to raise money.


       I am hoping that these are not the only skills I will acquire from this experience. On the expedition I am hoping to learn and develop skills that will help me to become a successful doctor. I am certain that this experience will stay with me for the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment