Tuesday 17 January 2012

Medlink 2011

Me outside the med school.
In December I was lucky enough to attend Medlink, which is held at Nottingham University. For those of you who don't know Medlink is a fantastic 4 day course for prospective medical students. It consists of a mixture of lectures and clinical sessions, which are held in the med school and around the university campus. Although for some a day jam-packed full of lectures may seem boring, I found it fancinating. The subjects of the lectures ranged from A & E medicine, to disaster medicine, to general practice. There was a lecture for almost every speciality of medicine!

The clinical sessions were also very good, altough I feel there could have been more of them. For these sessions we were split into smaller groups in which we performed a number of practical sessions. There was an opthalmoscope, otoscope and stethoscope session, a casualty alert session and a session in which we had to diagnose patients.

In addition to the medical lectures, there were also a few lectures teaching us the tricks of getting into med school. One of these was The Edge session, which is a must-have extra! It was rum by a man called James and I think it was probably the most useful session of the whole course. The Edge taught us EVERYTHING we will ever need to know about getting in to med school and I came out feeling the most confident I have ever felt about getting into med school. I highly recommend it to any of you considering Medlink next year.

Finally, I would just like to thank the whole of the Medlink team for giving me such a useful and enjoyable experience, especially James, who really inspired me to do my absoloute best, and then more!

No comments:

Post a Comment